Director, Employer Engagement
Over the past 20 years, UNITE-LA has established itself as a trusted business intermediary, dedicated to supporting the development of an effective local public education system, so that ALL children and youth succeed in college, career and beyond. Through the intersection of programming, policy, and systems change efforts, UNITE-LA works to increase access to high-quality early childhood education, develop career pathways in high-growth industries, improve college access and success, and ensure workforce readiness, especially for individuals with high barriers into the workforce.
The Director, Employer Engagement - Tech Pathways is a part of UNITE-LA’s workforce development team and reports to the Senior Director, Business Education Partnerships. This position will lead partnership development with regional employers, especially those in high-wage, high-growth industries (e.g., technology) to secure commitments for Work-Based Learning engagement and paid work experiences (e.g., internships, apprenticeships, academies/special programs) with a goal of part- or full-time employment, aiming to bridge the opportunity gap for underrepresented youth in Los Angeles. The ideal candidate enjoys fundraising, outreach and building relationships, is highly organized and deadline-driven, is flexible and demonstrates a strong commitment to education and workforce development systems transformation. It is a full-time, exempt (salary) position with full benefits, including paid sick leave, vacation, 401(k) participation, health, vision and dental.
• Employer Engagement - Tech Pathways • In collaboration with formal (MOU) partners (e.g., LA-Tech.org), lead partnership development with regional employers, especially those in high-wage, high-growth industries (e.g., technology)
• Secure volunteers for Work-Based Learning activities (e.g., career awareness – guest speaking; career exploration – company tours, immersive experiences; career prep – resume reviews, mock interviews)
• Secure employer commitments for paid work experiences (e.g., internships, apprenticeships, academies/special programs)
• Advance efforts to shepherd youth to part- or full-time employment
• Work with UNITE-LA’s research and evaluation team to identify and implement a process for tracking data that demonstrates progress towards the ultimate goal of bridging the opportunity gap for underrepresented youth in Los Angeles.
• Employer Engagement – TDN • Advance the development of UNITE-LA’s new Talent Development Network (TDN), a safe space for local businesses (corporate social responsibility) and business organizations (e.g., chambers of commerce) to share information and best practices, collaborate on similar initiatives, and develop resources to support their work
• Develop opportunities for participants to virtually meet for peer-to-peer learning, hear from panels of experts in education and workforce development (EDWD) policy, programming and systems, and build support/advocate for EDWD (e.g., joint support letters, joint advocacy trips)
• Fundraising • Responsible for meeting revenue goals (e.g., corporate sponsorships, grants, etc.) for the maintenance and growth of Tech Pathways and TDN
• General • Serves as support personnel on special projects and at annual events.
• Performs other duties as assigned
• Proven track record in working with employers in high-growth, high-wage industries.
• Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree preferred.
• Events and communications experience required.
• 4-6 years relevant work experience, preferably in the Los Angeles region (advanced education may compensate for some work experience).
• Highly motivated and organized with strong attention to detail.
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
• Ability to produce a large quantity of work at high quality.
• Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite and internet research.
• Experience working with diverse groups of community stakeholders.
• Ability to work well and on-task independently and as a part of a team with high sense of personal accountability.
Salary Range: Commensurate based on experience.
UNITE-LA is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to promoting a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, gender, or national origin.
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter to EWDjobs@unitela.com. Please include Director, Employer Engagement - Tech Pathways in the subject line of the email.