UNITE-LA seeks a dynamic and detailed-oriented Coordinator to join our backbone team to advance the success of the L.A. Compact's collective impact goals. The Project Coordinator is a newly created position designed to address emerging organizational needs, such as supporting with workgroup management and coordination, event planning, and communication efforts. The Project Coordinator will be part of UNITE-LA's Systems Change team responsible for driving the L.A. Compact's work forward to ensure that every child and youth – from across all racial, gender, socio-economic, and immigrant backgrounds, and abilities – receives what they need to thrive in school and succeed in work and in life. The coordinator will report to the L.A. Compact Senior Manager and work collaboratively with a team of six staff in UNITE-LA's Department of Systems Change Initiatives.
Since 1998, UNITE-LA has established itself as a trusted education and business intermediary, dedicated to supporting the development of an effective local public education system, so that all children and youth succeed in college, career and beyond. Through the intersection of programming, policy, and systems change efforts, UNITE-LA works to increase access to high-quality early childhood education, develop career pathways in high-growth industries, improve college access and success, and ensure workforce readiness, especially for individuals with high barriers into the workforce. Committed to developing and sustaining a diverse workforce with a work environment that is welcoming, respectful, and inclusive for all, UNITE-LA is currently engaged in organization-wide efforts to fully integrate equity and anti-racism into our operations and work.
About the L.A. Compact
UNITE-LA is the primary convener of the L.A. Compact, a bold commitment to close the education and workforce gaps caused by systemic inequities and racism. The L.A. Compact was founded in a shared belief that no single program or organization can singlehandedly solve the complex, large-scale education and workforce readiness challenges facing our region, and brings together cross-sector leaders in a shared commitment to achieve five ambitious, systemic goals for education reform in Los Angeles. Each of the 20+ L.A. Compact workgroups help advance specific strategies to promote student success along the cradle to career continuum. Some of the workgroup strategies include the transformation of schools through the community schools model, developing systemic solutions to improve foster youth connection to work-readiness training and experiences, and supporting high school students in their postsecondary planning, among other strategies.
The Project Coordinator will provide day-to-day support and administration of the L.A. Compact:
L.A. Compact workgroup management & coordination: The Project Coordinator will primarily support UNITE-LA's co-convening role with L.A. Unified School District's Community Schools Initiative, but will also assist other workgroups (focusing on workforce development, postsecondary access and success, and transition-age foster youth) and special projects, as needed. The day-to-day support, includes:
- Work with workgroup leads to coordinate and schedule meetings, document discussions and action items, and follow up with workgroup partners.
- Build and maintain relationships with community and institutional partners.
- Stay up to date on local and regional activities to promote alignment with workgroup strategies and actions.
- Assist with developing agendas and note taking of internal meetings, such as the monthly L.A. Compact team meetings.
- Help promote cross-collaboration between workgroups.
Communications: Lead the development and launch of communication strategies on behalf of the L.A. Compact, in collaboration with the Systems Change Department and Marketing and Communications, including:
- Communicate the goals and collective vision of the L.A. Compact to the community and potential partners, including the 2021 L.A. Compact agreement and other collateral.
- Develop communication materials as the L.A. Compact evolves, potentially including a historical one-pager, workgroup fact sheets, FAQs, and other items.
- Create and/or manage creation of quarterly L.A. Compact Connection newsletter, including coordinating with L.A. Compact team members and partners to document accomplishments.
- Develop a web and social media strategy for the L.A. Compact.
- Develop and curate content for the L.A. Compact website.
- Plan and manage logistics of and attend L.A. Compact events.
- Create press strategies, when needed, with Marketing and Communications or a communications consultant, including drafting press releases, coordinating with media outlets.
- Participate in monthly Marketing and Communications team meetings to elevate the communication needs of the L.A. Compact.
Skills & Qualifications
This is an outstanding opportunity to play a critical role in the L.A. Compact. Therefore, first and foremost, the Project Coordinator must have a strong interest in educational and workforce equity as well as advancing systemic practice, policy and program design changes in the L.A. region to improve education and career outcomes for historically marginalized students.
Additionally, the successful candidate will be able to demonstrate:
- Two to five years of relevant experience and/or education related to education equity, youth development, and/or communications.
- Strong organizational and project management skills, including the ability to manage tasks and workplans and prioritize work across multiple projects while maintaining quality of work.
- Ability to work independently as a self-starter.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to build relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong writing and editing skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to present complex information in an understandable and compelling manner, especially to non-technical audiences.
- Experience with content development for newsletters, fact sheets, websites, etc.
- Experience in event planning and meeting coordination.
- A growth mindset and desire to continuously improve professional skills.
- Intellectually curious learner willing take in new information and perspectives to inform and adapt work.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite applications and social media platforms. Experience with utilizing Asana, Microsoft Teams, Salesforce, SharePoint, Adobe PDF applications, and/or Google Drive is a plus.
The L.A. Compact Coordinator is a full-time, hourly non-exempt position with a starting hourly rate between $21-$25 per hour; salary commensurate with experience. Our competitive benefits package includes paid sick leave, vacation, and work-life harmony time, in addition to a robust paid holiday schedule; 401(k) participation with employer contribution; competitive health, vision and dental insurance, flexible spending accounts, and more. UNITE-LA promotes and embraces and values a culture of work-life harmony with flexible schedules and offers employee growth development plans to support pathways forward.
UNITE-LA is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to developing and sustaining a diverse workforce, because we believe that it makes our organization stronger. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or age. We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
This position is based in Los Angeles, CA. Work will be remote until COVID-19 conditions improve and allow for in-person attendance at our downtown Los Angeles office. Occasional local travel is required.
Interested candidates should submit their resume and cover letter to [email protected] using the email subject line "L.A. Compact Coordinator."
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled.