UNITE-LA is committed to ensuring the continuous improvement of effective and aligned cradle-to-career public education and workforce development systems in Los Angeles, resulting in all children and youth having access to a high-quality education and the opportunity to fulfill their potential. UNITE-LA is looking for a self-motivated individual to lead, together with the Vice President of Marketing & Communications, on internal and external communications for UNITE-LA.
The ideal candidate will effectively communicate UNITE-LA's work to magnify our role as a thought leader in these areas to our partners, funders, policy makers and the public. Top candidates will be skilled at creating content that both engages our audience and informs them about our work and its relevancy in the business world. The ability to communicate effectively in written and oral communications is a must.
The Marketing & Communications Manager is a full-time position and will be either exempt, salary or non-exempt, hourly dependent on candidate's experience and final salary. The position has full benefits including paid sick leave, vacation, 401(k) participation, health, vision and dental.
Over the past 20 years, UNITE-LA has established itself as a trusted business intermediary, dedicated to supporting the development of an effective local public education system, so that ALL children and youth succeed in college, career and beyond. Through the intersection of programming, policy and systems change efforts, UNITE-LA works to increase access to high-quality early childhood education, develop career pathways in high-growth industries, improve college access and success and ensure workforce readiness, especially for individuals with high barriers into the workforce.
- Create communication strategies, both traditional and digital, that effectively communicate and inform internal and external audiences of UNITE-LA
- Create and manage communications vehicles, including social media strategies, e-newsletters and print publications
- Develop and manage UNITE-LA social media content and scheduling
- Implement new media communications strategies, including but not limited to:
- Social media driven content
- Video content
- Facebook Live, Instagram TV, LinkedIn
- Paid advertisement
- Lead regular meetings to manage communications for all departments
- Oversee project requests coming into Marketing and Communications using project management tools (Asana)
- Receive request forms
- Schedule projects
- Delegate tasks among the Marketing and Communications team and UNITE-LA staff
- Act as main point of communication between Marketing and Communications and program teams
- Coordinate and assist departments in keeping current email distribution lists in Mailchimp
- Develop and cultivate relationships with relevant media
- Create and publicize press releases announcing news regarding our work
- Coordinate press/earned media
- Provide event support and photography
- Work with program areas to develop and manage new and old content for the various websites
- Assist marketing and IT with future website redesign
- Demonstrate a commitment to UNITE-LA's mission in all work produced
- Manage projects to ensure content is publication-ready and in by the deadline
- Other tasks as assigned
- Bachelor's degree in communications, marketing/related field with at least three years of work experience, associate degree with at least four years of work experience, or high school diploma with at least five years of work experience
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills; proficient with AP Style
- Proficient in the use of social media platforms for communications, including Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and LinkedIn
- Proficient in Mailchimp
- Ability to innovate, multi-task, self-start and work under tight deadlines in a fast-paced office environment
- Ability to quickly gain familiarity with multiple complex issues and tailor messaging for diverse audiences
- Strong interest in issues related to education, children and families
- Understanding of state legislative process and systems change is a plus
- Ability to provide excellent customer service and be a team player; sense of humor a must
- Working knowledge of Canva, InDesign, Dreamweaver and Photoshop highly preferred
- Experience with photography, HTML or website content management systems a plus
UNITE-LA is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to promoting a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, gender or national origin.
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for
Interested? Please email your resume and cover letter to [email protected] by May 7, 2021. Please include in the subject line of the email: "Marketing & Communications Manager." Applications without a cover letter describing your interest in and qualifications for the position will NOT be considered.