The Senior Manager of Workforce Programs and Special Projects functions within UNITE-LA's workforce development team and reports to the Vice President of Business Education Partnerships.
The position will manage the implementation of special projects aligned with UNITE-LA's workforce development goals in partnership with regional stakeholders including education and workforce systems partners integral to improving the K-16 systems, such as community colleges, community-based organizations, employers and business organizations.
The position will work collaboratively with the workforce team to develop a comprehensive and integrated work plan to support the implementation of programming focused on cultivating a local talent pipeline inclusive of the region's diverse and underrepresented populations. This work will be led with an emphasis on building alliances with the region's 19 community colleges to connect graduating (credentialed/degreed) students with jobs and living wage careers in high-growth, high demand industries such as healthcare and technology.
The ideal candidate enjoys working collaboratively and extensively with a diverse group of stakeholders and is effective at outreach and relationship-building within the community, highly organized, deadline-driven, flexible and demonstrates a strong commitment to education and economic equity. It is a full-time, exempt position with full benefits, including paid sick leave, vacation, 401(k) participation, health, vision and dental.
Over the past 20+ years, UNITE-LA has established itself as a trusted business intermediary, dedicated to supporting the development of an effective local public education system, so that ALL children, youth and students succeed in college, career and beyond. Through the intersection of programming, policy, and systems change initiatives UNITE-LA works to increase access to high-quality early childhood education, develop career pathways in high-growth industries, improve college access and success, and ensure workforce readiness and access to work experience, especially for individuals with high barriers into the workforce.
- Facilitates the collaborative development and implementation of a comprehensive plan to execute UNITE-LA's special workforce development projects
- Serves as the day-to-day project management lead on projects and programs to engage UNITE-LA’s key stakeholders, including community colleges, employers and students aligned with high-growth, high demand industry sectors
- Works with team members to lead the development and execution of strategies to cultivate partnerships with L.A.'s 19 community college campuses and related educational alliances to identify and build a diverse talent pipeline to meet regional workforce needs
- Works with team members to co-develop work-based learning plans and programming aligned with project objectives and outcomes, i.e. career readiness, career preparation, training and job placements
- Engages team members in collaborative projects with community colleges campus leadership (staff/faculty) to develop and design programming leading to job placements for eligible, graduating students
- Develops outreach and communications strategies, and executes targeted activities and events to support workforce programs and partnerships
- Manages effective data tracking and reporting processes, including development of new tools and student reporting systems as needed to support the evaluation of workforce projects and programs
- Supports the cultivation, development, management and reporting of related workforce grants
- Supports UNITE-LA's signature programs, events and projects (i.e. Real World of STEAM, South L.A. Scholars, Cash for College, Super Saturday) as needed
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience working with diverse stakeholders in positive relationships to support students' professional development and successful job placements
- Proven track record working within the K-16 system, particularly higher education partners, (i.e. deans and faculty of local community colleges)
- Bachelor's degree with 3- 5 years relevant work experience -OR- master's degree with 2-3 years relevant work experience -OR- 7+ years relevant work experience
- Relevant successful project management work experience, preferably in the Los Angeles region, with emphasis on program development, event management, partnership/relationship-building and communications
- Highly motivated and organized with strong attention to detail
- Ability to take a solution-oriented, innovative approach to work
- Ability to prioritize work across multiple projects while maintaining quality of work
- Excellent interpersonal and people skills, including effective written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to work well and on-task independently and function seamlessly as a part of a team with high sense of personal accountability
- Ability to manage and track program budgets
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, project management tools (i.e. Asana) and digital platforms (Teams, Zoom, etc.)
Salary Range: $60-$75k, commensurate with experience.
UNITE-LA is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to developing and sustaining a diverse workforce, because we believe that it makes our organization stronger. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or age. We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter (encouraged, but not required) to [email protected]. Please include "Senior Manager, Workforce Programs and Special Projects" in the subject line of the email.