In July, UNITE-LA's Humberto Estratalan, Director of Public Policy, and Adam Gottlieb, Director of Postsecondary Strategy and Policy, spent time in Sacramento for UNITE-LA's second advocacy trip of 2023.
They were fortunate to have met with the following members and/or their staff:
- Debbie Look, Lead on Early Care and Education and K-12 for the Assembly Education Committee
- Jason Sisney, Budget Advisor to Assembly Speaker Robert Rivas
- Natasha Collins, Early Care and Education and K-12 lead for the Assembly Appropriations Committee
- Misty Padilla Feusahrens, Speaker Robert Rivas
- Lynn Lorber, Lead Consultant for the Senate Education Committee
- Assemblymember Mike Fong and Sophia Kwong Kim, Chief of Staff
- Natalia Garcia, Legislative Aide, Office of Assemblymember Reggie Jones-Sawyer
Speaking on both ECE and higher education issues, the team was able to share priorities in light of a recently signed budget and better understand what direction the legislative and executive branches will move toward as this session begins to wind down.